Monday, September 24, 2007

Drafting Irregularities

So here's where we stand. DaZ did not correctly set his draft and caused a minor irritation during the begining of the live draft. Margaritas are mad because they were counting one extra left winger who was removed when the rosters were reset correctly. Also - many would like to see some action taken against DaZ when it was clearly stated that there would be consequences.

My official comments are as follows:
My initial rules (here)stated that the offending team would lose their franchise players to the free market and the affected teams would ultimately retain their franchise players while picking new players. The unforeseen consequence of this policy would be that the affected teams would effectively get an extra high draft pick, punishing teams that were not involved in the irregularities at all. In this case, Margaritas have been lobbying to retain Zetterburg in addition to their previous two franchise players (both properly restored). While I have no problems with this as a just (though perhaps harsh) punishment for DaZ and recompense for Margaritas, teams that were completely uninvolved will be at a disadvantage posed by this extra firepower. This is unfair as these other teams did not have an equal chance at Zetterburg (or Ovetchkin in the case of Thunder Bay).

So what can be done? The best is probably for DaZ to lose control of Zetterburg and Ovechkin without allowing any other team to access them. Since there is no way for me to do this in Yahoo that is foolproof, I will force those two players off of DaZ or any other team that tries to pick them up with no warning. They would be listed as banned and it would be best to leave them on the free agent market.

Does this sound like a just solution? How long of a ban should there be? Does DaZ lose these players all season or for a part? Please comment. We have until Oct. 3rd when these two play to decide. (Season starts Sept. 29th.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think leaving Zetterburg and Ovechkin on the Free Agent list for the first 11 weeks would be fair (one game against everyone).

As for compensating Margaritas and Thunder Bay, they should be allowed to force a trade with DaZ to switch a similar round draft pick. That should fix any drafting issues caused by the snafu. Amigone should approve any switch.

Nick said...

I'm not sure of the fairness of this because it was mostly a misunderstanding. Even after reading the rules I didn't know entirely what was going on. I had to call the commish and discuss. For someone like DaZ who doesn't have a way to contact the commish directly ... well I just think it's harsh. The last thing we want is a team withdrawing before the season even starts. Knowing people on both sides of the issue is difficult for me. I think that the commish should contact DaZ directly and work it out.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that Margaritas and Thunder Bay should be compensated in any way, because that would be unfair to the rest of the league. They got their franchise players and everyone else they wanted, so they're fine. DaZ made a simple mistake that is easy to fix (it really needs to be stressed that you need to at least set your franchise players as your first two choices), so he needs some punishment. I would say forcing Zetterburg and Ovechkin off of his team for the first 11 weeks, but after that he can pick them back up if he wants. Just post warnings that no one else is to pick them up either.

Mike said...

To quote Fornell: "The rules are clear... the punishment SEVERE!"

In the case of the teams affected by the infraction, I would suggest of the three players on each team under consideration, that Margaritas and Thunder Bay choose the two they want to keep and send the third to an 11 week blacklist as Jason suggests. Whereupon in Week 12, they will become available free agents. This will allow league-wise fairness in terms of power, but also give the affected teams some choice (since it wasn't their fault in the first place).

As for DaZ, it's their loss. I think they lose any right to those players, as stipulated by your initial posting. They can fill their rosters with flotsam and jetsam for now, and then be in the sweepstakes in week 12.

Anonymous said...

Since I started all this, here's my suggestion: Although I'm annoyed about some minor roster issues I'm having due to the draft issues, I can deal with that. I do like the idea of forcing a trade between me and Daz (a fair trade).

I also think Daz has no right to Zetterburg and Ovechkin since the draft rules were clear about how to set up the pre-rankings.

What about this: the commish can do a lottery (just pick names out of a hat) and the two names that come out get Zetterburg and Ovechkin (if they want them). That gives everyone the same chance at them.

Thoughts?

Nick said...

I think people are overreacting. Yes, the rules were there. But it was a screw up that could be easily fixed by the commish. It didn't affect the season at all. I barely made the draft at all let alone set up my exclude list. I made it by like 6 minutes. I face DaZ in week one and in the spirit of fairness I want him to have all of his players available. If I lose then so be it, but I'd rather play fair. I hope that the rest of you feel the same way. I'd be more in favor of punishment if there was no fix. I'm really upset about all of this because I feel it's not an issue. If a harsh punishment is used, then I'll be seriously considering removing myself from the league.

Anonymous said...

I am in agreement that DaZ should lose Ovechkin & Zetterberg for the first 11 weeks. No one should get them - they should remain free agents until week 12, at which time DaZ has priority to pick them up should he choose.
Nick, I agree that it is a bit of an overreaction, but I honestly believe that if the rules before the draft stated that he should lose his picks for not setting the pre-draft rankings and taking someone else's players instead, then we need to follow that. Otherwise, for every other situation in the future there will be no point in having rules if we set a standard whereby we can change them at will after the fact in order to satisfy ourselves. If we have a rule then we need to abide by it.

Charles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charles said...

As this is the first time this has ever been tried in our fantasy leagues, what is going to happen is this:
A warning and nothing more. It didn't take much to correct the minor problem and the league is fine now. I take most of the blame in this as I set those rules and punishment in the first place without thinking. Leniency is called for here and that is what will be given. I should have come down sooner on this but didn't. No matter - it is done.